Hindley Street Stories – behind the scenes photos by Helen Page Photography
You can view the documentaries here: youtube channel
The Adelaide West End Association in partnership with The Media Resource Centre, presented the first three in an ongoing series of short documentaries highlighting iconic business in Adelaide’s West End.
These 3 films, produced through the Media Resource Centre’s Seniors on Screen program, tell the story of Imprints Booksellers, Marcellinas Pizza Bar and Quiet Waters Lebanese Restaurant and the stories of their owners. Adelaide’s Westend is going through a period of significant change and the AWEA is proud to celebrate these individuals and business that have contributed to the unique quality of this part of Adelaide. (Read more below the images)
The initial 3 short documentaries include:
(1) Brian Aoukar CEO, Marcellina – the original Pizzeria established in Adelaide, South Australia in 1967. Marcellina’s culture was created by people who immigrated in the late 50s early 60s and who longed for good food prepared in the traditional way of their old homeland Sicily in Italy. Their passion was to produce food that was not available at that time here in Australia. Forty years on and offering non stop service to the South Australian and International visitors, Marcellina has retained traditional flavour, essence of the old passion and traditional customer service. Located at 273 Hindley Street, Adelaide #myhindleywest
(2) Jason Lake – Imprint’s Booksellers has been located on Hindley Street since 1987 – Jason Lake talks about his love of books and the West End. “Lets hope books become the new vinyl”
Great article on Imprints Booksellers available Via Adelaide Review http://adelaidereview.com.au/arts/three-decades-of-imprints/
(3) Jamal Elmaway from Quiet Waters Lebanese Restaurant, one of Adelaide’s oldest halal restaurants, Quiet Waters is well known for its Lebanese food, served to busy diners in the city’s CBD. Expect all your favourite Middle Eastern dishes, from tabbouli to juicy grilled meats. Quiet Waters is located downstairs at 75 Hindley Street, Adelaide.
There’s a lot of hype around Adelaide regarding all the new business’s, bars, entrepreneurs etc — we chose to recognise long standing business’s and their operators and look forward to sharing more stories with you. Special mention to Tim from T-Shirt City, the inspiration behind this series due to his long standing business and so many stories he had of his time on Hindley Street. Sadly, T- Shirt City closed down in December 2013, so we were unable to include Tim in our stories.
Special thanks to the film makers and film crews and the Media Resource Centre.
• Quiet Waters : Janette Farris, Julie Hewton, Terry Hewton & Elise Kamleh
• Imprints: Vanimira Lorenzon, Terry Hewton, Electra Ewing & Madhu Sarif
• Marcellina: Max Harrington, Peter Langhorn & Mark Smith
#hindleystreet #adelaidewestend #mainstreets #placemaking #adelaide @adelaidewestend @helenpagee
For further details on photography services or to request a quote, contact Helen on 0419 852 518
Email: Helen Page